OT Board Certification: Mental Health

In a profession with positivity around every corner, it is difficult to narrow down to one potential concentration of interest.  Personally, I am attracted to a board certification in mental health for several reasons.  When it comes to the field of mental health, it runs in my family.  With my father being a clinical psychologist and my mother being a social worker and an elementary school guidance counselor, I'll admit I am a little biased towards the field.  However, I did not know occupational therapy originated in the concentration of mental health, but my attention towards the subject has only increased.  I look at the occupational therapy with mental health  as I look at the profession of occupational therapy as a whole; there is an infinite amount of knowledge for me to discover and grow on.  With a bachelors degree in psychology, I am grateful for a solid base of knowledge of mental health throughout the lifespan.  Mental health is a emotionally and mentally exhausting field for both the client and the practitioner.  However, an outcome that benefits the client's health and overall life is worth all of the ups and downs of interventions.  As occupational therapists, we do not technically save lives.  However, I believe OT with mental health can hypothetically save lives by keeping one's mind, body, and soul alive with the most effective client-centered interactions.

Comments

  1. It looks like things have really come full-circle for you in your professional pursuits :) There is mental health in every single thing we do as OTs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neuro Note 4

Neuro Note #3: TransFatty Lives

Media Project Using Q-Tips