Neuro Note 4

        For my final neuro note, I decided to begin by searching Netflix without a set concentration.  I decided to watch My Beautiful Broken Brain, starring and co-directed by Lotje Sodderland, a young woman whose life was turned upside down when she had a hemorrhagic stroke at the age of 34.  One of the reasons I chose to watch this documentary was because of the type of stroke she had.  Earlier this semester I learned about cerebrovascular accidents.  I was able to identify her stroke as hemorrhagic before revisiting my notes.  Lotje was especially interesting to me since hemorrhagic strokes only account for about 13% of  strokes, and are more fatal.  I was immediately attracted when the film started with her recount while having the stroke.  I was surprised at the detail of her description as she talked of first feeling an excruciating headache and then acknowledging that she was unable to talk.  She recalls crazy colors and sounds before blacking out in a hotel bathroom.  I was curious to know if all people that suffered a stroke were able to recall their experience.  I did some research and came across a message board for stroke survivors on the topic of remembering their stroke.  Most of these people remembered it in great detail.  

       One aspect of this film that made it very insightful was that the remainder of the film is footage that Lotje took of herself on her phone.  She tells the camera that she is no longer "clever" as she suffers from aphasia.  The expression on her face showed me that she knew what she wanted to say, but her brain would not allow her to say it.  This made me believe that she was suffering from Broca's aphasia, since she was able to receive verbal information, yet unable to reciprocate.  Before her stroke, Lotje's job (not specified) required organization and communication.  One of her friends described her as the "most articulate person."  Now, Lotje has to learn how to read, write, and communicate all over again.  I was very surprised at how little her gross motor skills had deteriorated.  Even though she reported becoming fatigued easily, she always ambulated without problem.  She was even able to unlock a door five weeks after her stroke.  However, this is why post-stroke symptoms are sometimes referred to as a "hidden disability."  Even though Lotje appears to be fine, she feels she is stuck in her own world all by herself.  Her vision on the left side is normal, but she reports her right visual field is like a "whole new dimension."  About seven months post-stroke, as Lotje begins to show great improvement with reading, writing, and speaking, she suffers from an episode of epileptic seizures that regress her progress.  I then learned from her interaction with her doctor that seizures are a common side effect for those who have suffered a stroke.  

       Throughout all of these hardships, however, Lotje always appeared incredibly optimistic along her journey to recovery.  While Lotje was in an inpatient rehabilitation facility, there is a short clip where Lotje directs the camera over to a friend she has made in the facility.  He did not say much, and I'm sure he did not intend to deliver a powerful message.  He simply said "Life is what you make it" and I could not agree more.  Lotje wanted to regain her knowledge and strength and worked very hard to do so.  She did not let this diagnoses put an end end to her life.  Her grit and passion has made her is an inspiration to me as a future OT.  Lotje's positive use of her virtual environment through filming on her phone is a very useful tactic to see life after a stroke firsthand for both herself and her caregivers/therapists.  I would like to tell future clients to document their journey through film as a reliable way to track progress and voice one's thoughts.  I also hope to always remind clients to remember the simple phrase "Life is what you make it" as they too have the potential to improve just like Lotje.  


Resources 

Do you remember having your stroke. (2011, October 31). Retrieved from               http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?/topic/21126-do-you-remember-having-your-stroke/

Sodderland, L., & Robinson, S. (Directors), & Robinson, S. (Producer). (2014). My Beautiful Broken               Brain [Video file]. United Kingdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neuro Note #3: TransFatty Lives

Dunn's Model of Sensory Processing